Worms in the cat: symptoms, treatment, prevention
The content of the article
- Common symptoms of parasites in cat
- Specific signs of helminths
- Treatment of pets
- Prevention of helminthiasis
The animal can “catch” helminths anywhere. Even if you keep it constantly at home, outside your cat does not come out, it does not guarantee that a cat has worms appear. Often blame the owners, because currently brings parasite eggs.
Cat enough to lick, sniff, rub on the infected object (where he really lick his nose or a skin infection and will happen).
Some worms “are declared” not immediately, before clinical signs of a lot of time passes. Many parasitic disease in the cat occur with very similar symptoms, making it difficult to diagnosis.
However, the vet will conduct the necessary research and establish the species of helminth.
If you suspect that Kitties “settled” worms, you should not give yourself anthelmintics. Firstly, without the exact name of the disease is extremely difficult pathogen to choose the “right” drug that is sure to destroy the parasite.
But for the “expulsion” of tapeworms are not appropriate drugs to fight flat, and vice versa.
Secondly, incorrect dosage, or not work or cause “blow” to the liver. Third, at the pet may be worms of different families, and in this case requires a well-thought-out treatment regimen, and parasites to kill, and not to harm your pet.
Without analysis and consult a veterinarian can not do.
And we must not forget about the fact that some of the worms from cats can be easily transmitted to humans. Monitor the pet’s health must be even more carefully, if you have kids.
Any suspicious clinical signs of the cat should alert you.
Common symptoms of parasites in cat
The symptoms may be common, which are characteristic for almost kinds of parasites, and specific. If we talk about common symptoms, it is a weakness, impaired bowel function (constipation, diarrhea, or else), the stomach is inflated, it becomes stiff like a drum.
Almost always parasites “reflected” on the coat, it becomes dull, lifeless, it falls. Yes, and often the eyes begin to fester.
Breath is extremely unpleasant, sometimes itching of the anal sphincter. Appetite disappears, although some parasites suck so much power, the energy of a cat that he has a lot to eat. However, despite the large amounts of food eaten, the animal is exhausted.
Agree that infection or intestinal worms in cats, symptoms of common who are mostly similar, easily confused. In addition helminths reduce immunity, so any infection “clings” to the cat.
And then the signs of infectious and parasitic diseases are mixed, which complicates diagnosis.
That is why it is important to time to carry out preventive deworming, as well as closely monitor the health of your cat.
Specific signs of helminths
And now, “rundown” of various pathogens. The first will be flat worms (cestodes).
- The most common cestodosis – bothriocephaliasis, the cat it arises as a result of eating raw fish. Specific symptoms include vomiting (sometimes with blood), severe weight loss, diarrhea / constipation, seizures, anemia, with severe infestations – a blockage of the intestine.
- Dipilidioz – Disease occurs due to eating cat fleas or tongs, which are intermediate hosts. The cat disappears appetite, but there is vomiting, diarrhea / constipation. I hear the cat growling tummy.
- Alveococcosis. Parasites minute (4mm), hit the small intestine, and infected cat, rodent eat (patient). Some specific symptoms do not have, but it is a dangerous disease for people of disease. Often recorded fatal cat owner, which is why it is necessary to carry out preventive deworming, as well as visits to the doctor, to be tested (this also applies to animals, but also all members of the family).
Now consider the group of roundworms, which cause the nematodes. toksaskaridoz recorded more often (the way of infection – through the mouth or through the placenta) and hookworm (larvae can penetrate the skin and oral).
Symptoms of infection are very similar: the thinness while continuing appetite, vomiting and bloody diarrhea, coughing. Differential diagnosis only on the results of analyzes carried out by a veterinarian.
And now it’s time to learn about trematodosis (a group of diseases caused by flukes). Intermediate hosts: molluscs, crabs, freshwater fish, crayfish. Therefore, they are forbidden to give animals without heat treatment.
- Paragonimiasis. Pathogen development cycle needed crabs, clams, crabs. The larvae of flukes affect the lungs, the cat because of this cough, until vomiting (foam), heavy breathing, audible wheezing. Pet fever, diarrhea often appears.
- Opisthorchiasis (pet infected by eating raw river fish or shellfish). Pathogen “settled” mostly in the liver, but sometimes it can “detect” in the gall bladder, pancreas. Specific symptom – abdominal pain syndrome (pet prevents touch it), fever, jaundice, vomiting of bile. Appetite disappears, just brutal.
treatment of pets
No self! Even when detected in the feces of the adult parasite, it is not necessary to select the drug alone.
Do not listen to advice “experienced”, otherwise can only hurt your pet. Be sure to contact a veterinary clinic.
Many require a comprehensive treatment of helminth infections (not a drug) and veterinary control. Need to be retested to confirm that the worms no trace.
In most cases, the drug villa occurs twice because the first time eliminated the adults and larvae do not “react”. After 2 weeks, they grow, and the drug is already acting on them.
Preventive treatment is carried out regularly – on a quarterly basis. It does not matter whether the symptoms of the presence of worms in the cat there. Always ensure that the cat eats.
No raw meat! Freeze, cook, but in any case, not raw. Do not eat rodents, if so cat-hunter, then show it to the vet from time to time to time to diagnose intestinal worms.
Required by pet treat skin parasites (fleas, lice), which often are intermediate hosts worms.
Shoes do not leave outside the cabinet or bedside table to pet them not sniffed and licked.
Tray necessarily a good disinfectant and wash at least once in 14 days. A throw feces immediately.