Urolithiasis in cats: causes, symptoms, treatment
The content of the article
- 1 The reasons for the development of urolithiasis
- 2 Symptoms urolithiasis
- 3 Treatment of urolithiasis
Urolithiasis and causes discomfort to people and animals. There are no secrets when the kidneys (ureters and the bladder or) formed stones, feeling is not pleasant. And when the big and sharp uroliths in urine move through thin ureters, scratching them or even getting stuck, the pain and the wall is not an obstacle.
If the stone is stuck, thereby closing the excretory duct, the urine accumulates in the bladder (or even can not leave the “beyond” the kidney). As a result, the strongest intoxication. If the time has not helped, then avoid death is unlikely to succeed.
The causes of urolithiasis
- Urolithiasis in cats developed mainly due to malfunction of metabolism (metabolism is disrupted). Often the wine unbalanced nutrition. If feeding your pet exclusively Economy feeds (and there is no difference, they are dry or the wet), it is likely, in the near future will notice in your cat’s symptoms of urolithiasis (IBC).
Manufacturers do not balance the budget makes its products minerals. The resulting imbalance within the animal body, start to deposit salt. Even if such an alternate feed and food of natural (non-industrial) origin, it is impossible to avoid errors of metabolism.
- Lack of access to clean (filtered or boiled) water also often leads to the IBC. Dry food swells in the stomach, thereby “pulling” the moisture from the cells. This, again, leads to the root cause of this disease.
Water from the tap (provided that the water is not built with a special filter) which just does not pose. This metal ions and salts, and more other stuff which does not bring any benefit. In using such a liquid, cat “fills” the organism and the blood useless (or harmful) mineral compounds which subsequently are deposited in the kidney or in the urinary ducts.
- Digestive problems are also often the culprits that develops urolithiasis in cats. Very important time to detect in your pet dysfunction of the digestive system. And it’s not only the stomach and intestines, do not forget about the liver, pancreas, are also involved in digestion by producing specific enzymes.
- Sedentary or obese pets have already have a tendency to rise to the ICD. Obesity – is a violation of metabolism, and the result is urolithiasis, once the cat is practically no active movement and a balanced diet.
- Almost everyone knows the joke about genetics. Something like “a finger without asking,” So this also applies to cats. Genetic predisposition plays a role in metabolic disorders. Of course, knowing in advance that in the clan have your pet registered with this disease, you can make every attempt profilaktirovat regularly being watched by a veterinarian.
- Do not forget that there urolithiasis in cats that have recently been ill with a contagious disease. Most often caused by pyogenic bacteria such as cocci (streptococci or staphylo-). Many diseases produce complications in the urogenital system, as well as medicines. That is why the treatment of any disease (even the most trifling in your opinion) should take place only after examination by a veterinarian and under its control.
- Too much protein in the food. Meat, fish and cheese are good. But do not abuse them, or kidney problems can not be avoided.
- Not less common cause associated with abnormalities of the genitourinary system (not only the acquisition, however, and congenital). Many people mistakenly believe that the castrated / neutered pets suffering from kidney stones more often it is due to the fact that the operation was carried out. This is not quite true.
If we have a cat and symptoms of IBC, it is due to an unbalanced feeding. Or, if the operation to stop the reproductive capacity was carried out too early. In the period when the urethra is not “developed” before the end and remained too narrow.
Symptoms of kidney stones
Having dealt with a long list of possible causes of ICD, should familiarize themselves and symptoms. Knowing them, you will be able in time to see the vet for help. Lighten your cat state, and even save the life of a timely appeal to the specialist. Even the slightest suspicion of this disease should be an occasion for you to guard and watch carefully for your four-legged friend.
- The most common clinical sign, which is suitable for almost all disease – is the loss of appetite. If your pet abruptly stopped to eat or eats very slowly and reluctantly, even his favorite food, this is a bell that something in the cat’s body is not. However, this is not a mandatory manifestation of the disease.
- What are the symptoms certainly indicate problems with the urinary system, your purring? It’s loud meow, anxiety on the tray during the emptying of the bladder. Wild animal is experiencing pain. After the urine move sharp rocks that can scratch the mucous membrane of the urinary ducts.
- Only an inattentive owner does not notice that the cat has become very common to run “in a little.” The feeling that the whole of a drop of urine, and the loud meows. This is because the animal is afraid of pain, trying only “relieve the pressure” in the bladder, besides stones interfere with the normal flow of urine. It stagnates and irritates the bladder receptors, they, in turn, sent a “team” of the brain that it is time to use the toilet.
- Some symptoms can be seen only when viewing the contents of the tray. This blood (pinkish filler). Blood in the urine comes from the fact that the stone scratches the mucous ducts, thereby damaging the capillaries.
- If you carefully touch the tummy, it taut, tense. And when light pressure Purring in pain, giving to know about it meows or is bounced from you. Stressful and painful tummy a cat may be a sign or other disease. And consult a veterinarian is needed urgently.
- Many owners report that among “ordinary” ICD signs were observed and symptoms such as a change in behavior. The cat became very affectionate, sometimes too intrusive, and strive to climb a hand to attract attention. Or, conversely, overly aggressive, not allowing himself to touch. But some do, in spite of their education, could “inflate” a puddle almost in front of the owner’s nose, accompanying the process with a loud meow.
Treatment of urolithiasis
I noticed in your pet ICD symptoms (either all at once or just a couple)? Immediately go to the veterinary clinic for an examination. Do not tighten with treatment. Some stones can extend themselves, while others clog the ducts, leading to severe intoxication, a pain shock the cat.
Do not put anything on their own. No diuretics. First, you need to put the correct diagnosis, make treatment regimen, it is suitable to your animal. To facilitate the flow of urine, the vet will put a catheter.
As a result, the stones will come (if they are not very big), because flow becomes greater due to the introduction of the catheter.
If uroliths too large, you will have to have surgery under general anesthesia. Tighten with this is impossible, the road every hour. The veterinarian will advise what should feed your four-footed friend, to more of this happening again, pick up money for the restoration of health and the prevention of further disease.