You travel with your pet abroad? Find out what the rules are and what should be done before the trip.
If you plan to travel abroad with your pet, be it for a short period of travel or to live in another country, there are certain rules and procedures that must be followed. The first measure to be taken is to program in advance. In some places this preparation should start with at least three months in advance.
Travel to United States
– Do not allow travel dogs of brachycephalic breeds (French Bulldog, English Bulldog, Pug, Boston Terrier, Pekingese, Boxer, Shih Tzu or any other race with the “flat” face), or in the cabin and not in the cargo hold.
– allow only two animals in the cabin per flight, so, so buy your ticket, you must make a reservation for your pet. Animals over 10 kg should go in the cargo compartment. Flights to the United States do not carry babies between 3 and 4 months.
– It is not necessary microchip or anger serology.
Necessary documents: health certificate issued by the veterinarian, vaccination card with the latest anti-rabies vaccine at least 30 days and a maximum of 365 days (1 year validity) and CZI (International Animal Health Certificate) valid 7 days. The CZI is issued by the Ministry of Agriculture in Guarulhos Airport. One should schedule the issue of this document (information by telephone 11 2445-3606 and 2445-3683). Do not forget to take the health certificate and the pet ‘s vaccination records.
Travel to the EU
– Microchip standard ISO 11784 and ISO 11785 (mandatory before deployment rabies vaccination)
– Rabies vaccinations at least 30 days and a maximum of 365 prior to collection of rabies serology.
– rabies serology collection at least three months before the trip. Animal blood must be cooled to collect and lead CCZ (Animal Control Center) ¹ for the titration of antibodies against rabies virus. The antibody titre should be at least 0,5UI / ml. Remember to respect the period of 30 days rabies vaccination and blood collection for the animal has time to produce antibodies. It must also wait 90 days from the date of blood collection and the pet boarding.
– Issuance of CZI (International Animal Health Certificate) valid for 7 days.
– Some countries such as Finland , Ireland , Malta , Sweden and United Kingdom : These countries require treatment against echinococcus, which must be carried out with no more than five days in advance of shipment. Look for the veterinarian to the guidance of this treatment.
– For the UK there is a quarantine on the landing place following the rules and regulations of local authorities.
– Spain : restricts the entry of Pit Bull Terrier, Brazilian Fila, Dogo Argentino, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Rottweiller. If you want to travel with these races, you need to get in contact with the country ‘s consulate for more information.
Journey to the Mercosur (Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela)
– Health attestation: this should contain what animal does not show clinical signs of disease and no evidence of parasitic diseases and is able to transfer to the destination country. It should also noted that the animal was tested 15 days after the last treatment against internal and external parasites. It must have also experienced some pet veterinary treatment in the last three months, indicating the diagnosis and treatment.
– vaccination Portfolio.
– CZI (International Animal Health Certificate) valid for 7 days.
For more information about other countries, please contact Pet Care is by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at any of our unidades². We always recommend obtaining further information from the airline and the destination country consulate.