Symptoms of poisoning in dogs. First aid in intoxication

Symptoms of poisoning in dogs. First aid in intoxication

The content of the article

  • What can poison a dog?
  • Clinical signs of poisoning
  • First aid for poisoning

Even very well-mannered dog can be poisoned.217672035_cfd9364bce_zIt is a mistake to believe that the animal can get poisoned, only grabbing that no hitting the ground.

Toxins and enter the body through the mouth, and by inhalation, through the skin (for example, during treatment of the animal against fleas, ticks) or even injecting (administering an overdose of medication or preparation containing a toxin or other toxic components).

Your task: to quickly recognize the symptoms of poisoning in dogs and provide first veterinary care. To do this, you should know which way the toxin entered the body of an animal, what kind of toxin. But even after the first aid, your four-legged friend need treatment. Immediately go to the veterinary clinic or call your doctor at home.

Keep an eye on your pet during a walk. Some evil people (doghantery, “hunters” for dogs as they are called yet), to reduce the number of stray animals, specially laid out bait (pieces of meat, sausages, sweets), in advance of putting poison in her (often used rat).

But many domestic four-legged friends is suffering because of this initiative. Often as a toxic substance used rat poison.

But in addition to bait the dog can eat the remains of the rat or mouse that crawled out of the basement and died due to poisoning by rat poison. As a result, the active ingredient gets into the dog’s stomach, and then absorbed into the bloodstream. Signs of poisoning is possible, but we must act very quickly. And save the life of their own pet can not.

What can poison a dog?

  1. Substandard food. Some owners think that if you feed the dog bread moldy, fermented sour soup or pasta, then it will be nothing. That is, in the garbage can not be there, and to feed that need to throw it away, can you? Any animal you need to provide fresh and quality food, you can not save it on your favorite pet.
  2. Chemistry. Someone put detergents on the floor, where the animal can easily detect it, lick. And if we find a young inquisitive dog, you will certainly want to try on a tooth with a bottle of cleaner, such as toilets or pipes. Shampoos, hair dye, fertilizer for plants, a means for hounding rodents and insects, household chemicals, paint and varnish products – all this poses a serious threat to the life of your dog.
  3. Overdose of drugs. Someone thinks, if you take more tablets or suspensions deworming, the parasites quickly die and leave the pet. However, the excess dosage is fraught with serious poisoning, besides blood poison “is run” through the liver, the kidneys, where the toxin and “settles”. Then may develop renal or hepatic insufficiency.

    Dangerous and self-medication.
    Most owners close and have no idea how to calculate the dosage of a drug. To do this, you should know not only the mass fraction of the active ingredient in the drug, and mass pet’s body, but the rate in milligrams per kilogram of the substance for the dog. Therefore, the drug can be given only with the approval of a veterinarian and exclusively to the dosage that has been spelled out.
  4. Uncontrolled walks. Dangerous not only to the city spree, but and summer. You just think that in the country or in the village poisoned nothing. A herbicides and pesticides, which are processed vegetables / fruit? A baiting harmful rodents and insects?

    Dog enough to lick the poison processed fruit, to run on just sprayed bushes (or potatoes), to the toxins got into the stomach, skin, hair and respiratory tract.
    Until you delve in the beds, woofing your friend can start to play with the deceased mole or eat the insects that are in contact with a strong poison. That’s why you can not leave your dog unattended.
  5. The bite of poisonous snakes and insects. In this case, we must act very quickly. It is important to know exactly who “snatched” your pet. Otherwise, choose the specific treatment that will save the life of a dog, it will not work.

Clinical signs of poisoning

  1. General weakness. The animal becomes lethargic more lies. If trying to walk, the legs are shaking, they can buckle. Often tremor appears cramps.
  2. Sometimes, the general oppression, by contrast, “is replaced by” overexcitement.
  3. The most common clinical signs of poisoning – vomiting and diarrhea. This is a protective reaction of the body aimed at the rapid removal of the contents of the digestive tract, so that toxins do not have time to be absorbed. This may alleviate the condition, but to get rid of the poison will not work. It requires immediate treatment.
  4. Increased thirst. This is due to dehydration due to vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, if the poisoning occurred through the digestive tract, the large amount of fluid to reduce the concentration of the toxin and “useful” when the next attack of vomiting.
  5. Breathing frequent, superficial. That is, the dog is not breathing deeply.
  6. If the poisoning of rat poison, vomiting and diarrhea in visible blood. This is due to the fact that the active substance “specializes” in the bleeding disorders. A small wound will lead to a large loss of blood. Hence anemia mucous.

    The temperature of a dog above the norm.
    Increased heart rate. After being poisoned with rat poison animal moans, it feels a pain in his stomach. If not urgently start a specific treatment, the dog will die an agonizing painful death.
  7. Seizures occur in case of contact with the body of arsenic or active ingredient of anti-tuberculosis drug (isoniazid). If not urgently provide treatment poisoning in dogs these components will lead to paralysis and death.
  8. Sometimes incorrectly compiled diet becomes a cause of serious health problems. For example, if too often give protein foods (meat, cheese, fish and chicken). When the day is given a huge amount, the kidneys are affected. Urine changes its color and odor, dandruff and baldness place (usually on the tail and on the ridge), if time does not apply to the vet and do not change the menu appearsĀ  renal failure puppy .

First aid for poisoning

Poisoning in dogs, whether edible or not edible, require immediate first aid. Unfortunately, often fails to save a pet, for example, if the toxin were heavy metals, pesticides or herbicides, medicines.

If poisoning rat poison needed medications that increase blood clotting, strengthen blood vessels and help to rid the body of toxins residues. Alone is not worth doing it.

You should give first aid, and then immediately run to the vet. If your pet has swallowed something, the first thing you need to induce vomiting.

For this fit weak solution of potassium permanganate (just a couple of crystals on the half-liter pot with boiling water). However, if the cause of ailments become oil, it is strictly forbidden!

It is possible to give activated charcoal. Usually it takes a tablet for every ten pounds weight of the dog. It is best to give an adsorbent several times, but it does not replace an appointment with a veterinarian.

If the cause of the poisoning is not a food, then there is much more complicated. If your hair and skin has got a toxin, wash the animal with plenty of water without any chemicals or soap. Unknown as will interact detergent components and poison. There may be toxic fumes, which will cause more damage.

If poisoning through the respiratory tract is necessary to bring your pet into the fresh air. Once the dog feel better little bit, take it to a veterinary clinic. If stung or bitten by an insect a snake, to the place immediately apply ice or something very, very cold.

This will lead to a narrowing of blood vessels, slow poison will spread through the body. Do not waste a minute, run for the serum to the doctor.

In the case of an overdose of drugs can only induce vomiting. Nothing more, let’s, let more water. But without professional save the life of a dog can not.

Add Comment