Otodectosis in cats: causes, symptoms
The content of the article
- cause of infection
- The progress of the disease
- Going to the vet
Otodektoz cats – a fairly common disease. The causative agent is the ear mite Otodectes cynotis. It prides itself on the eardrum in the ear canal and the pinna.
It is an oblong yellow-gray insect is about 0.2 – 0.5 mm in length. The basis of its power up or exfoliated dead skin cells and crusts on the skin.
Causes of infection
At risk are the animals up to a year. Often sick and kittens. Infection occurs by contact with patients pets (especially – stray fur animals) or objects take care of them, the objects for general hygiene. Such as human ear mite does not bite, but people can carry it on their clothes or hands, and be a source of infection of cats.
Symptoms of the disease:
1. The brown crust and scabs in the ear passage or pinna.
2. Scratching and scratching the ear.
3. Pet restless.
4. Intense itching and shaking his head. Cat scratching ear paw and rubs against the first available household items.
5. Discharge from the ears, with an unpleasant odor. they initially serous, and then and pus.
6. scab crusts in the ear and around the ear.
7. Hearing impairment up to its loss.
8. Heat from pet.
9. “Krivogolovost”: cat turns his head so that the ear is at the bottom. In this likely spread of the inflammatory process in the eardrum, middle and inner ear.
10. In the advanced stages – convulsions and seizures. During their pet can die. They happen when the inflammation has passed from the ear to the meninges.
The course of the disease
Pliers exfoliated upper layer of the skin, and at this point starts to separate tissue brown liquid. It dries up, formed a crust, which strongly itch, and the animal is trying to tear off their paw. Through these small ulcers may penetrate fungal and bacterial infections.
Scratches from claws scratching the ear, too, are not conducive to recovery.
In advanced cases, the disease may spread to the whole body.
Hike to the vet
Before you show an animal doctor, do not clean the ears of your pet to the vet can make the correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment. He will take a scraping of earwax under a microscope in the laboratory consider it for parasites. To defeat the disease, the doctor will prescribe acaricidal preparations, cleans the animal’s ear with pus and crusts. To do this, most likely I will need to enter a sedative or very tight swaddle cat, because the procedure of cleansing ears – not a pleasant one, and a restless pet becomes aggressive.
cat owner should know that the treatment should be strictly observed by a veterinarian: undertreated animal can be re-infected. Therefore, after the anti-inflammatory therapy is necessary to strengthen the immune system cat, to give him vitamins, wool processing insecticide.
We treat both ears, even if signs of infection occur in only one. If the house several animals, then you need to treat them and because otodektoz very contagious. Sometimes you may need receiving antimicrobials, analgesics, antihistamines. The prevention of secondary invasion also includes patient isolation and rub all surfaces and objects in the room antiseptic liquids.