Intoxication for Batteries and Batteries Ingestion in Dogs and Cats

Intoxication for Batteries and Batteries Ingestion in Dogs and Cats 

 

Nowadays, the cells and batteries are widely used indoors and disposal can not be done anyway. The large number of batteries (and the absence of adequate disposal areas) predispose not only environmental pollution, but also increases the risk of contact of children and pets with these toxic products, since often a large number of these objects it is disposed of in household waste.

There are many compounds present in batteries, but some heavy metals such as lead, zinc and mercury are very toxic to cats and dogs, especially puppies who have the habit of chewing objects. They can swallow that type of object – that goes through the whole digestive system and is eliminated in the feces. But that does not always happen; the batteries can be opened in the stomach or intestine of the animal or so, pets can chew and vent all toxic content present within the objects, causing serious damage to health.

The main effects caused by the toxicity of such compounds ranging from local lesions in the mouth, esophagus and stomach until changes in the nervous system.

Symptoms include:

– Pain and burning of the mouth and the rest of the digestive tract, reaching to necrosis of the areas that come into contact with chemicals;

– Vomiting and diarrhea;

– intense salivation;

– Difficulty in breathing;

– Spasms;

– Apathy and weakness;

– convulsions and other neurological disorders;

– blindness.

If you notice that your pet may have swallowed or chewed one of these materials, it should be taken urgently to veterinary medical care for early treatment. Remember that prevention is the best treatment, so do not leave batteries within the reach of dogs and cats.


Add Comment