How is corneal ulcer treated in dogs? & Nbsp;
The content of the article
- What is a corneal ulcer?
- Symptoms and Diagnosis
As the owner understands that his dog is quite healthy and happy life? First of all, it says a cheerful mood and, of course, the eyes. Shiny, clear eyes – a real mirror, reflecting the dog’s health.
However, a mirror might one day become cloudy, which will talk about the problems with the eyes of your pet. One of them is a corneal ulcer in dogs.
What is a corneal ulcer?
Cornea, performs this body protective function consists of several layers:
- the top layer – epithelial;
- the base layer – stroma;
- an inner layer – membrane Dessemeta.
All corneal structure is very thin and delicate, so damage to any of them can cause the development of the inflammatory process. Since dog paw scratches eyes, they regularly get a grain of sand or dust can injure the cornea, but not all such injuries provoke ulcers. Most often, such sores tightened quickly and without consequences for the dog’s eyes, but some of them are starting to progress and cause inflammation of the cornea of a dog, which is known as ulcerative keratitis.
corneal ulcer in a dog starts to develop after upper epithelial layer damage. The reasons for ulcer progression include:
- Corneal injury through mechanical contact with the eye foreign objects (sand, earth, grass, etc.), Contamination from various microorganisms. The combination of microtrauma and the presence of pathogenic microorganisms in the dog’s eye causes inflammation.
- Chemical burn of cornea when a dog contact with household cleaning products that may result in a violation of the integrity of all corneal layers.
- Inversion century into the eye at which the regular epithelial injury eyelashes and bacteria from entering the wound, which causes ulceration of the cornea.
- Viral infections, the effect of which becomes purulent conjunctivitis. Pus, in turn, has the property of destroying the protein, i.e. by the action of exudate can form corneal erosion in dogs.
- Complications of congenital anomalies of the eye.
At first, the problem with the cornea almost invisible for the dog owner, but later they begin to cause the dog pain and discomfort. At this stage the animal’s owner is already becoming clear that his pet is something wrong.
Symptoms and Diagnosis
As we have noted, the dog has an ulcer on the cornea of the eye is quite painful and therefore the animal’s behavior changes. In addition, there are outward signs of the disease, indicating a problem:
- dog constantly rubs his eyes, squeals a little, lose your appetite and can even abandon the water;
- later the animal becomes difficult to fully open their eyes, so the dog squints or keeps them closed;
- in the corners of the eyes in dogs accumulates purulent discharge;
- the dog begins photophobia, as a bright light irritates inflamed cornea.
owner of the dog is not able to independently understand what causes eye disease, so an accurate diagnosis will put only a veterinarian.
In the veterinary clinic doctor drips into the eyes a special dye, and then examines the cornea under a UV lamp. Painting begins to glow, and the doctor sees the localization of ulcers, its dimensions, shapes, etc.
If you suspect that the infectious nature of the disease ulcers analysis of the microparticles can be assigned to identify the pathogen and prescribe adequate treatment.
Such a disease, such as corneal ulcer in a dog, includes both therapeutic treatment and surgery. Conservative therapy is used in cases when the disease is in its initial stages. Veterinarian appoints antibacterial drugs of local action that is instilled directly into the eye. Treatment is carried out by means of drops (Tobrex, iris, etc.) and eye ointments (Tetracycline, Optimmun).
Owners should pay attention to what the treatment should be carried out in strict accordance with the doctor’s appointment, which means that the dog will have to dig eye every 4 hours, and apply the ointment three times a day.
Why do I need to apply drops as often? Because hydration of the cornea occurs by washing it lacrimal fluid, and this leads to the rapid removal of the drug to the affected area. Application of the droplets through 4 chasa helps achieve the desired effect.
However, this rule completely inapplicable to drugs containing atropine. Such tools are often used in ophthalmology as well they relieve pain and spasms in the dog’s eye. After contact with atropine in a dog’s eyes dramatically expands the pupil, and she almost never sees daylight, so the use of the drug atropine can be no more than 12 hours!
It is impossible to cure ulcers of the cornea and using corticosteroids, which are successfully used in the treatment of other inflammatory processes. Getting these drugs in the affected eye produces the opposite effect, and the disease starts to progress!
In the case of the doctors running ulcerative keratitis have resorted to surgery. Depending on the design technique dispensed two kinds of operations for the treatment of corneal ulcers:
- Keratotomy – a relatively simple operation in which the cornea is incised and leveled. Dog at this time do local anesthesia and is securely fixed. In 95% of cases after surgery there is complete recovery.
- Keratoektomiya – traumatic and more complex embodiment in which a laser beam removes all the affected areas of the cornea. Dog on the procedure, immersed in anesthesia, but after the release of his animal already can see the operated eye. Operation carried out by a qualified technician, helps to cure ulcerative keratitis in virtually 100% of cases.
After the surgery, the affected eye closed by a special lens, which prevents relapse.
During conservative treatment and after surgery is necessary to provide a host for your pet’s complete rest and good care, since these are important components of the dog’s recovery.
Corneal ulcer – is a serious disease, which can be complicated and lead to blindness or even death, so you should start to cure this pathology in the early stages and thoroughly implement the treating physician.
If all the conditions after the recovery you will again be bright and cheerful dog with shiny eyes!