How and what to treat cystitis in a cat
The content of the article
- 1 What is cystitis?
- 2 Types cystitis
- 3 What are the symptoms in cats
- 4 Why the disease occurs
- 5 Diagnostics
- 6 How to treat
- 7 How to care for a cat after recovery?
Cat owners sometimes complain that their pet, which is regularly visited tray began to misbehave – puddles appear in the wrong places, and the cat meows and worries before going to the toilet. Most likely, this situation indicates the presence of pet health problems associated with urogenital system. One of the most unpleasant and painful pathologies is cystitis cat that brings a lot of suffering to the animal.
For the hosts it is important to know the basic symptoms of cystitis in cats, as well as than to treat it, how to keep and feed their pet, to prevent recurrence of the disease after treatment.
What is cystitis?
Bladder cats – an organ of the excretory system, located in the pelvis of the animal. It urine from the kidneys, which is subsequently removed from the body through the urethra. Bladder itself looks like a hollow sac lined inside submucosal layer and covered with a mucous membrane with a large number of blood vessels.
When emptying the bladder shrinks, and when filling cracked down, leaving the mucosa are constantly experiencing stress. If there is an inflammation of the mucous membrane, such a pathological process is called cystitis.
types of cystitis
Depending on how the disease occurs, are distinguished:
- acute cystitis;
- chronic cystitis in cats.
The acute form is most pronounced symptoms and brings more suffering to the animal, whereas in chronic cystitis sometimes occurs practically asymptomatic, but causes considerable damage to the cat’s health. Worsening of the disease can occur at any time, and, in addition, the constant inflammatory process in the body reduces the pet immunity, and shortens its life.
That is why you should not be complacent, if the cat is not the brightest manifestations of the disease, and should always follow the advice of doctors, and to monitor his health condition, comply with the recommended feeding mode, etc.
If as a result of inflammatory processes in the bladder causes damage to blood vessels, and the cat blood appears in the urine, it means that your pet started hemorrhagic cystitis. It can also occur in acute and chronic form. The acute form is dangerous because an animal can lower hemoglobin, a blood clot occur or intoxication.
The main cause of the chronic form of hemorrhagic cystitis is urolithiasis cats provoking injury to the bladder mucosa.
Idiopathic cystitis in cats causes veterinarians particular difficulties in the diagnosis. It would seem that there is all the symptoms of cystitis, but there is no reason that would cause these symptoms. Therefore, in cases of suspected idiopathic cystitis doctor prescribes particularly thorough examination.
The owner to respond to the first “bells”, informs about the problems started because cystitis treated for a long time and has a high relapse rate.
As seen in cats
In order not to miss the beginning of the disease, it is necessary to know how to manifest cystitis in cats and how its symptoms appear.
Initial symptoms of cystitis should be attributed to stress, the resulting cat, or some other disease – a frequent urination, painful abdomen, restless behavior. Since the symptoms of disease become more pronounced:
- cat often runs on a tray, as inflammation causes fullness of the bladder;
- during urination animal cares and plaintive meows because of pain, perceived during the process;
- cat begins to make puddles around the house, while trying to get to the master’s eyes, as if alluding to his problem;
- change the color of urine: it can become dark, murky, foul-smelling, blood or pus;
- at palpation or stroking belly felt that it tight and painful;
- cat at rest is shifted from one side to another, trying to relieve the pain;
- After emptying the animal gets out of the tray, privolakivaya hind legs;
- as the disease progresses urination becomes difficult, and often ineffectual cat sits on a tray;
- inflammation causes the temperature to rise.
Do not try to diagnose your pet yourself and begin treatment at home, as the practical manifestation of the same inherent and urolithiasis.
Entrust your pet an experienced vet and be diagnosed correctly, which means that your pet does not have to drink extra pills, and you will save your time and money.
Why the disease occurs
Cystitis can be a separately flowing disease, that is, it becomes the primary cause of inflammation of the bladder, and be the result of other pathological processes in the body.
- Cystitis as a primary disease occurs as a result of hypothermia cats. For example, your furry pet spree in cold weather or long slept on tile in an unheated room – that this will be the impetus for the development of the disease. Special predisposition to primary cystitis cats are immunosuppressed.
- Infectious or viral diseases and provoke the development of inflammation of the bladder. Initially, the bacteria can be affected by the kidney, and then down pathogens and cause problems with other organs. Inflammation can also be rising and begin with the urethra, and then propagate down to the kidneys. In any case, the development of a bacterial infection of the pelvic organs is a serious threat to the health of the cat.
The virus, initially accompanied by sneezing and a runny nose, too, can cause cystitis. If on a background of viral infection is a manifestation of the symptoms of inflammation of the bladder, the parallel treatment of the virus should be started and treatment of cystitis.
- Chronic diseases of the body do not play a role in the occurrence of cystitis in cats as well as complications of these diseases are not always predictable and can cause bladder problems.
- Wrong diet, poor quality food, lack of drinking – all this provokes the formation of stones in the urogenital system. As a result, clog the urinary tract, the mucosa is irritated bladder and therein pathogens are rapidly developing, and that causes cystitis.
- Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle – these are the problems that are inherent in some of the cats neutered and spayed cats. But the state of body after sterilization or castration causes blood stagnation in the genital area, the accumulation of salts and mucus in the urethra and may also cause cystitis. Due to the structural features of the genitourinary system cystitis is rare in cats, but the long and tortuous urinary canal in cats more often contributes to such diseases.
- During licking cats can transfer worms from the anus to the urethra, where they produce toxins and cause secondary cystitis.
- In idiopathic cystitis causes of the disease it is very difficult to determine, since all body systems are working properly, and the inflammation persists. Most often this type of cystitis is observed in castrated cats are overweight and low mobility.
- Injuries to the pelvic area can also give an impetus to the development of cystitis.
Despite the fact that the symptoms of cystitis is quite eloquent, diagnose and self-medicate is not necessary. Not all herbs and drugs will approach your pet, so the treatment of cystitis in cats is to conduct professional.
In the veterinary clinic animal appoint several studies:
- Urinalysis will show the presence or absence of certain substances therein indicating inflammation: protein mucus salts, blood, pus, etc. Also bacteriological urine culture may be conducted to detect the presence of pathogenic microorganisms.
- , Biochemical blood test.
- Stroke, determining the presence of pathogenic microflora in the genital tract.
- Pelvic ultrasound.
- Checking the bladder by a special device.
Only after assessing the results of the whole complex is assigned adequate therapy.
How to treat
Once diagnosed, the veterinarian prescribe your pet a comprehensive treatment. Most often, the following items will be included in it:
- Taking antibiotics. Even if the lab tests your pet is not a bacterial cystitis, antibiotics in cystitis in cats assigned to the prevention of its development, as the pathogens penetrate very quickly and spread to the inflammation of the bladder. In order not to poison a cat ineffective medications, you must determine the response of bacteria to certain antibiotics. Usually cats veterinarians prescribe antibacterial drug penicillin “Sinuloks” which destroys all pathogens causing cystitis. Reception “Sinuloksa” is carried out during the week of dosing, strictly corresponding pet weight. In severe cases, your doctor may prescribe injections of antibiotics that act more quickly and effectively.
- In parallel, the medication needs of a group of probiotics to prevent problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
- The use of haemostatic drugs in hemorrhagic cystitis, by preventing the development of anemia and intoxication.
- Admission antispasmodic relaxes the muscles and helps to facilitate the process of urination in cats and to increase the volume of urine.
- Treatment of the disease that caused the development of cystitis. This is very important because if it is not to treat urolithiasis, or some kind of chronic disease, the anesthetic will be a constant companion pet.
- In the case of idiopathic cystitis selection of treatment is complicated by the fact that no clear cause of the disease, so the most commonly prescribed medications, to eliminate the symptoms of illness, such as herbal preparations for the treatment of cystitis, certain antibiotics, etc.
- Diuretic herbs complement therapy medicinal drugs and help speed up the healing process.
How to care for a cat after recovery?
We have already mentioned that insidious disease cystitis and easy returns, it is worth only a cat simple, highly nervous or start to eat other food. Therefore, we recommend to owners of furry pets to follow the rules that will help avoid recurrence:
- The animal should not supercool either at home or on the street. Therefore, it is better not to sleep a cat on the bare floor, and on a warm couch, and should be excluded walks in cold weather.
- The cat must have a proper diet, chosen in view of the existing disease. Of prepared feeds suit those intended for the prevention of kidney stones.
- Exclude abdominal trauma in cats and their fall from a height.
- Create a peaceful environment for a cat in the house, that is, be careful not to abuse an animal, do not worry, do not let children too active to play with him.
- Have regular access to clean water, in order to avoid stagnation of fluid in the bladder and wash it out bacteria.
- Time to vaccinate an animal, the cat is not infected with infectious and viral diseases.
From this article you will understand that to cure cystitis Cat possible if rapid diagnosis and follow all recommendations of doctors, but you can avoid this difficult disease, if competent to carry out preventive maintenance. We wish good health to your moustached pets!