Glaucoma in dogs. Symptoms, treatment.
The content of the article
- 1 Glaucoma in dogs, or “green” eye
- 2 Know the “face” of the enemy
- 3 Risk Zone
- 4 The symptoms and treatment of glaucoma
Glaucoma in dogs, or “green” eye
Of all the dogs pets most susceptible to eye diseases such as glaucoma. More specifically, the dog’s share of glaucoma patients is about 80%. From this we can conclude that the owners should be attentive to the eyes of their pets, paying attention to even minor changes in their behavior caused visual discomfort.
Know the “face” of the enemy
Glaucoma is an outwardly gray-green cataract, and inherently the disease threatens vision loss dog – first peripheral, and then the central. The mechanism of this process, which is characterized, first of all the irreversibility, is as follows:
- 1.Narushayutsya drainage processes in the eye, causing the so-called aqueous humor creates significant increase fundus pressure.
- 2. The result squeezed eye vessels and, consequently, its tissue oxygen supply is insufficient for its normal functioning. There ocular hypertension (elevated intraocular pressure) leads, including atrophy of the optic nerve.
- 3.Kletki eye responsible for “translation” of the outside world the visual parts of the brain die off.
This process can take place slowly and imperceptibly to the animal – largely due to enhanced operation of other sensory organs – but it is thus irreversible, and this is the main hazard.
That’s why early diagnosis of this disease is so important. More often than not, with timely treatment to the veterinary ophthalmologist, vision can not save the dog.
Unfortunately, in most cases, the clinical picture of the canine glaucoma quite blurred: the disease develops very slowly, and in the early stages of her dog may not bother anything. That under this condition to provide adequate preventive measures, in addition to the need for regular inspection in the canine ophthalmologist should take into account the following points:
- 1.Vozrast dogs. The development of glaucoma are the most susceptible animals older than 6 years. Therefore, the older the pet often be diagnosed for glaucoma changes in the structure of the eye.
- 2.Poroda dogs. Allocate a number of species, susceptibility to glaucoma which is higher than that of their counterparts. This is, first and foremost, cocker spaniels and beagles, as well as divers, Chihuahua, and some others.
- 3.Geneticheskaya predisposition. This factor is of great importance in the development of glaucoma, so it is useful to know whether the disease suffered any of the immediate ancestors of your dog. For the same reason the treatment of a patient with glaucoma eyes must necessarily take place in conjunction with prophylactic measures aimed at preserving the second eye.
- 4.Nalichie chronic (or newly formed), inflammatory eye diseases. There are cases when the most ordinary conjunctivitis glaucoma causes irreversible changes. Risk increases as a result of treatment of the above diseases steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs largely. In this case, acute glaucoma may develop within a month.
- 5.Diagnostirovanie diabetes in dogs of a cardiovascular disorder, and hypertension.
- 6.Nalichie evidence of injury to the eyes. In this case, the risk of glaucoma is extremely high, and visual function disorders – are inevitable.
Symptoms and treatment of glaucoma
You should alert the following symptoms, which manifest themselves in your pet:
- Increased lacrimation.
- The increase in the volume of the eyeball (the so-called “bull” eye).
- Panelists sclera vessels that become bright and crimped ( “cobra” syndrome).
- Soreness of the eye, which is manifested in the fact that the dog does not touch the head from the patient’s eyes.
- Losing a dog mood and appetite, depressed mood and avoiding contact with people and other animals.
- dog disorientation.
- Photophobia, expressed as a desire to get into a dark corner and bury my head in the legs, or curl into a ball.
In some cases, the doctor prescribes animal eye drops, the effect of which is aimed at reducing the intraocular pressure. This is enough to bring it back to normal limits and rid your dog of discomfort. In some cases further prescribers reducing aqueous humor production: it also significantly improves the condition of the patient.
As for the visual functions, they can also be stored. However, it is important to understand that full recovery is unlikely to occur, and the drug is likely to have to apply for life. Roughly speaking, an acute form of glaucoma in this treatment turns into a chronic, but well controlled.
If the visual function is already irretrievably lost, or the designated medical treatment does not justify the hopes rested upon it, and the eye is unattractive, it makes sense to carry out surgery – evisceration. In this case, instead of a remote eye dog is inserted into the implant, thus guaranteed to achieve the desired cosmetic effect.
Whatever it was, before prescribing the appropriate treatment, as well as its process of veterinary ophthalmologist must check the parameters of intraocular pressure and condition of the ocular fundus. Their dynamics will assess in the future of course of the disease and the effectiveness of the prescribed treatment.