Often we received phone calls asking about veterinary experts Bulldogs. This specialty does not exist in veterinary medicine, but the fact that we have a large number of calls that race causes that we know the most common features and diseases that affect higher incidence in this race.
The English Bulldog is recognized as an excellent pet for a family because of their tendency to form strong bonds with the children. It tends to be kind and protective. The breed requires preparation and discipline on the part of the owner to educate you power and regular exercise, it tends to gain weight and become obese. His short nose makes it prone to overheating (heat stroke or hyperthermia) in hot weather, especially in summer.
Although graceful and gentle, can weigh more than 30 kg and therefore should be assessed the availability of space and time for physical activity. He lives, on average, around 8-10 years.
Major diseases that affect the race:
– Heat Stroke or Hyperthermia : Heat disease that occurs when the animals are exposed to high ambient temperatures or stress situations.
– Dog Syndrome brachycephalic (short – nosed dogs), whose facial abnormalities result in difficulty breathing and hoarseness.
– birth difficulty or dystocia which is the term used to describe the difficult delivery. Due to their large heads, it is difficult to pass the birth canal (mother’s pelvis). For the birth of these cubs, usually resorted to caesarean surgeries.
– vaginal hyperplasia in females during estrus.
– facial dermatitis bending which is the skin condition which occurs when the facial folds retains moisture, then an infection occurs.
– interdigital dermatitis , also known as pododermatite that it is an inflammation of the paws.
– Cryptorchidism is the term used to describe the situation when one or both testicles do not descend into the scrotum and remain in the abdomen.
– dysplasia Femoral Lame : is a malformation of the hip joint that results in pain, claudication (limp) and osteoarthritis.
– hypoplasia of trachea : It is a smaller trachea resulting in difficulty in breathing and can increase the chances of developing pneumonia.
– The hypothyroidism : It is an underactive thyroid gland, which can result in sluggishness, weight and serious illness gain.
– The Cherry eye (Cherry Eyes) : It is a prolapse of the third eyelid. Although not a serious injury and not cause blindness, prolapse can be irritating to the eye surface and cause persistent tearing and ocular pain.
– Entropion : Is it a problem with the eyelid that can irritate the surface of the eye and can lead to more serious problems.
– Distriquiase : It is a condition in which there is growth of eyelashes and unusual place, leading to eye irritation.
– Keratoconjunctivitis dried or dry eye : It is an eye disease due to low tear production.
– Dysplasia elbow , causing pain and osteoarthritis of the forelimbs.
– prolapse urethra .
– Sarna Demodectic and Mast cell tumors .