Dysplasia in dogs: causes, symptoms and treatment
The content of the article
- What is dysplasia
- Reasons dysplasia in dogs
- Predisposition sawmills
- Dogs with dysplasia Treatment
Hip dysplasia in dogs are increasingly recorded. She most susceptible dogs of large breeds or with the large body mass, as it creates a burden on themusculoskeletal system. Joints wear and excessive physical activity. What is dysplasia, as it manifests itself and how to help your favorite four-legged friend?
What is dysplasia
Dysplasia in dogs is characterized by degenerative changes in the hip joints. That is, they are gradually destroyed, which causes severe pain to the animal. Any movement, however slight – real torture for four-legged family member.
Recognize that the dog can be dysplasia in early puppyhood. This allows you to start treatment as early as possible, that will keep the dog physically active for a long time. How can recognize that a puppy or an adult dog is a risk to suffer because of dysplasia?
In normal (healthy animals), the femoral head is ideally suited to the hollow at the hip, they are firmly in contact with the other sisters. When dysplasia is noted in the dog a clearance (void space) between the head and the depression. When driving friction occurs as a result, the joint surfaces are cleared and destroyed.
The causes of dysplasia in dogs
Hip dysplasia in susceptible dogs will not be congenital, pathology always develops after birth. But very often can diagnose this disease is at an early age: the first suspected a veterinarian may arise in six months old, but bone and cartilage growth ends up somewhere in a year and a half.
It was during this period is already possible to say for sure whether the dog problems with the musculoskeletal system. But why is there a dog’s hip dysplasia?
The main reason for developing hip dysplasia – a genetic predisposition. At the genetic level baby transmitted propensity to pathologies of the locomotor system.
However, even if one parent has been confirmed the diagnosis, it does not mean that the puppies will be problems with the musculoskeletal system.
But there are predisposing factors that can trigger the development of pathology. If we take care of the puppy has a tiny age, it is possible to avoid problems with the hip joints.
- Improper feeding. Most sores because of improper diet of animals. If the puppy is fed only meat or jelly (only protein diet) or else give a low-quality feed, the problems with the legs can not be avoided.
- Excess calcium and phosphorus. Yes, these trace elements are necessary for a growing organism, they strengthen bones and cartilage. However, if they overfeed, the bone “oversaturated” cartilage becomes too dense (lost elasticity). And instead of a cushioning effect when running and jumping animal harm your joints.
- Fast or very large weight gain. Extra kilo – this is only an additional load on the musculoskeletal system and muscle. And if the dog and run, jump attempts, the problems with the joints can not be avoided.
- Too much exercise and physical activity. Especially a puppy or old age, when the bones and joints vulnerable.
- As the opposite of the previous item – little activity. If a pipsqueak does not walk, he goes out only to celebrate their affairs, it sustavchikov accurately develop properly.
- Injury, including sprains, or stretching. That is why it is so important to make sure that the baby is not running on a slippery floor (and on the ice outside). Cover the flooring (linoleum, parquet, laminate, tiles), with carpets that pet is not “stretched” on the floor when it is running around playing.
In any dysplasia of dogs can be, but there is a certain predisposition. Some breeds are more likely to get sick. Namely, large, massive and strong dogs, because they load on the musculoskeletal system is much more serious than that of the medium or small dogs.
Also often suffer from dogs who have more physical activity (office, driving). What is this breed? Great Danes, St. Bernards, Newfies, Shepherds, Rottweilers, Labradors and Golden Retrievers, malamutes, divers and other representatives of the bark of the family.
Recognize the symptoms of dysplasia is not so difficult, but the diagnosis is confirmed can only be carried out after further research. The most effective is the X-ray. In the picture will be visible gap between the articular surfaces of bones or degeneration has already begun. However, there are visible clinical signs, which the owner may notice and without X-rays.
It can be suspect wrong if limp or pet started same wobble during walking ( “puts” pelvis).
- Notice how the dog runs. If he pushes with both hind legs, it is a signal that with limbs that something is wrong. It is considered improper formulation of the clutches.
- Think about it, if the animal was often to rest during the walk. Less running around, playing less, and more tries to lie down or sit. It is noticeable that the exercise is given to him with difficulty.
- There was a certain stiffness in his movements. For example, go down and go up the stairs), and sometimes to get up from the floor was extremely difficult. Even lift a paw for the dog becomes a daunting task.
- Dog lies unusually, spreading in all directions diseased foot. In addition, much like the load with damaged limbs transferred to the healthy. Therefore, healthy feet are more massive (due to the fact that all the work is redistributed to them), but the patients, on the contrary, “lose weight”, the muscles atrophy.
- If hip dysplasia affected joints swell, swell up, become extremely painful to the touch and palpation.
Treatment of dogs with dysplasia
Treatment of dysplasia in dogs need to start as early as possible. There are 2 main types of treatment: surgical and medical. Only a veterinarian should decide what way to treat the patient. It is taken into account and the degree of damage and the age of the animal, and its weight.
If conservative treatment of the veterinarian assigns hondroprotektory (recovery accelerating cartilage), spasmolytics (for decrease of painful sensations), antiinflammatory, vitamins and nutritional supplements, accelerating tissue repair. It is imperative to revise the diet, put the dog on a diet, if necessary, so that he lost weight.
Physiotherapy helps relieve pain, reduces inflammation, helps to restore cartilage faster. Good massage (only a professional to do it so as not to cause harm to the dog). As physiotherapy and swimming are good, and very careful jogging. However, once a ban should get actively running and jumping all.
If therapy is powerless or else the degree of damage is so heavy that no medication and physiotherapy does not help, then the veterinarian will recommend to carry out the operation. Just make sure before it is necessary to make an X-ray to assess the severity of disease.
Surgery can help correct the size of the articular surface to the bone perfectly “fit” at each other.
There are 3 out of the situation: excision of the head and neck of the femur, osteotomy (change already glenoid fossa to the bone in it “fell”) and stenting (titanium prosthesis). In any of these cases requires long-term rehabilitation, but after the dog does not feel any discomfort and happily runs and jumps.
Prevention is simple.
- Do not strain your baby, do not make him a lot of running and jumping. And also do not lock it at home, limiting his freedom. Protect the floor of the house to a pipsqueak is not stretched out on the floor like a frog.
- Keep an eye on the diet. Enrich with all necessary vitamins and minerals, but remember that overfeeding protein food, and increased calcium and phosphorus cottage can harm a growing organism.
- Do not chase the animal, do not make a lot of jumping. It’s not just about the puppies, but also the already adult dogs.
- Before you take a puppy, make sure you passed the test for dysplasia in dogs (both parents) and a negative result. Breeders on hand must be an official document, which should be a mark “A” (there are no abnormal changes in the cartilage). This, of course, no guarantee that the dog will be absent dysplasia in the future, but it’s still the risk of disease is much lower.