Cat was poisoned – what to do?
The content of the article
- What is poisoning
- Way contact poison in an animal
- Possible causes poisoning
- Symptoms of poisoning in cats
- Treatment poison the cat. First aid
- Preventing Poisoning
The cat was not always home, and even in the wild, she was very careful to what was going to eat. This caution is preserved to this day. That’s why food poisoning in cats occurs rarely, but there are other ways of poison into the organism of the animal. As the owner to recognize that the poisoned pet, what to do and where to go?
What is poisoning
Poisoning in cats – a violation of the functions of organs and organ systems, as a result of receipt of ingestion of toxic substances of various origins. Well, if in a simple way, if in the animal body was poison (and not always with food or water), all functions are violated, there are specific clinical features.
And seeing them, the owner must provide first aid, that is to do something that will help favorite “hang on” to the complex treatment of a doctor. And be sure to apply after its delivery to a veterinary clinic for qualified veterinary help.
The way the poison enters the body of an animal
- Alimentary. In this case, the toxin enters the body via the mouth of an animal (i.e., with food, drink). Symptoms that cat was poisoned, may differ due to the origin of the poison (food, medicines, phosphide, a rat poison, etc.). But the main features of poisoning with this – it’s a cat’s diarrhea and vomiting.
- Inhalatory. It’s simple: cat breathed vapors / toxic gases, toxins enter the lungs, absorbed into the bloodstream and spread throughout the body. That’s it – pitomitsy poisoned.
- Through the skin, mucous membranes. Often, the cause of such poisoning is in the treatment of animals by fleas, mites and other parasites (often due to drug overdose or misuse of its application). Or, it happens sometimes that the pet runs on processed pesticides / insecticides / herbicides garden beds, placed on the newly washed household cleaning floor or somehow otherwise manage soil oneself in toxic substances (with the feet in the paint as you like, snout in the laundry detergent) . Poison through the skin or the mucous membrane (conjunctiva same) into the blood.
- Intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous, intradermal, and other ways. The owner was able to do an injection of something wrong with the drug or dosage, maybe even the injection site. As a result, the animal intoxication. Therefore, all the same, it is desirable to trust to make any injection is a veterinarian, and not self-prescribe medication on the advice of neighbors or colleagues.
Possible causes of poisoning
As already stated above, the cat is very cautious animal with an excellent sense of smell. Therefore, it is extremely rare to blame myself that poisoned. Is that the kids because of its thrust to know the world around or adult animal, which is very interesting.
But if the owner knows about poisoning prevention measures in the cat, he will try to protect the home and avoid contact with your pet poisonous substances.
- Poor food. Sometimes the owners in order to save their time, or laziness, or even any clear reasons only he gives the cat spoiled food (the remnants of his, which has already begun podkisat or shelf life coming to an end). Usually the animal sniffs carefully everything in a bowl, but if the pet is young, inexperienced or simply (and therefore the sense of smell a bit dim), and may be too hungry, you can eat and tarnished food.
- Medications. Some owners are engaged in self-medicate or ignore the recommendations of the veterinarian prescribing any drug sick animal. And because of the overdose or wrong medication given comes poisoning in cats. And pet may be seriously affected without professional help.
- Insect bites or the snake, causing the poison is in the animal’s blood. Sometimes the owner did not immediately notice that the animal is bitten. But in this situation it is necessary to act quickly, otherwise death will come quickly because of anaphylactic shock. However, many owners know what to do if a cat was bitten by a snake or a bee?
- Not hidden household chemicals, paint and varnish products, pesticides or other poisons. Curious animals, especially the younger, smell, touch or just polizhet foot (which then lick or Feeds On this tab) jar with chemistry. If you decide to do home repairs or general cleaning, the animal must be isolated, and even better for a while “to move” in a safe environment: friends, relatives. Or at least remove to a separate room where it is safe, and there is good ventilation (draft but should not be).
- You have a lot of indoor plants or flower beds / lawn of the most diverse vegetation? Be sure to check each – whether it is not poisonous to cats! Many ornamental indoor plants poisonous to pets, and not always the cat about it “guesses”. Chewed leaf, for fun or out of spite, and poisoned, and the landlord then does not know what to do.
- I would like to highlight another separate item poisoned rat poison! When neighbors poisoned rodents (in an apartment or private home), dying rodents “creep” into the light, where cats and catch them. Purring eats a poisoned mouse, as a result of the poison enters the body of the hunter. Specific symptoms, so an owner who knows about them, quickly realizes that the beloved pet is poisoned.
Symptoms of poisoning in cats
The most common symptoms of poisoning – a diarrhea in cats, vomiting, depression (sometimes, conversely, excitement). Body temperature drops, which slows down the metabolism, worse poison absorbed. Due to the fact that the cat’s diarrhea and vomiting, dehydration develops. And the body “requires” restoring the water balance, so the thirst increases, the animal tries, as much as possible, drink.
If poisoning rat poison a cat’s diarrhea and vomiting of blood, and at a small wound blood flows almost without interruption. And all because that destroys vitamin K, which is necessary for blood clotting. The animal will be convulsions, central nervous system (apathy, drowsiness), body temperature can rise.
Sometimes the symptoms appear immediately, sometimes mild and so sluggish behavior persists the cat a week, but more often just a couple of days without treatment, the animal dies in terrible pain.
Treatment was poisoned cats. First aid
The first thing you need to avoid further contact with the toxic substance. Provide your pet with fresh air, plentiful drink. If a cat has vomiting, you do not need to give antiemetic drugs without the permission of a veterinarian!
The fact is that if a cat vomits, then so is released from the digestive tract of toxins. The same applies to diarrhea. This “emergency measures” of the body that does not give the poison be absorbed through the intestinal mucosa.
It would be nice to give adsorbents – charcoal, white clay (the first portion to a gastric lavage, wait a bit to the toxin, “ass” on the adsorbent, and then wash out the stomach or vomit, and then give back corner to the remains of the poison again “contacted” and be sucked ).
The first thing that should make the owner is to give plenty of water (clean) that the animal was not dehydration. Besides water reduces the concentration of toxin in the blood, it will help win a little more time, which is enough for it to get to the doctor or to the vet he came to you.
It is not necessary to put an enema, if you do not know what exactly caused the vomiting.
Typically veterinarian assigns diuretic, purgative, emetic drugs, as soon as possible to bring the toxic substances from the body. Only with all these drugs is necessary to put a drip to avoid dehydration.
If the poisoning was caused by drugs, pesticides / insecticides / herbicides, snake venom or insect or household cleaning products, without the antidote full recovery is not achieved. For example, if the cat is poisoned rat poison, the first thing you need to do a gastric lavage, and immediately enter the antidote – the preparations of vitamin K (for example, Vikasol).
Next will be assigned to symptomatic treatment. If necessary, the need to inject drugs, support of cardiac and respiratory activity. Dropper with glucose or other physiological solution intravenously.
Prevention of poisoning
- Keep household chemicals and paint products away from the animal. Repair, cleaning is carried out without a pet.
- Watch out for food and drink. Do not let purring there in the street, let’s not have mice (caught – well done, but there should not be).
- Do not assign any drugs on their own. And if a vet and treated, then strictly follow the dosage, frequency and route of administration.
- If released to the pet outdoors, then make sure that it would not climb into the bushes (which can be poisonous plants or insects / snakes) do not run on the newly-treated with chemicals bed.