If your dog or cat has fleas , beware of your home!
Dogs, cats and fleas for many years have always been associated. Today this is no longer true because we already have on the market effective products in your control.
Still the fight against fleas should be constant and close watch.
The first step is to accept that yes our home for cleaner that is may be infested with eggs, larvae and pupae (these three invisible to the naked eye) and often adult parasites (which would be visible and easily identified).
Accepting this, the treatment can be easier.
The flea cycle:
Fleas abound with greater intensity in warm and humid environments and so the rainy season and heat that prevails in spring and summer is prone to infestations in dogs and cats. The main food of the adult flea is the blood of various species of mammals (95% of the hosts) such as dogs, cats, humans and some wild mammals. Fleas can also infest some birds, but it is rarer. (About 5%). The flea saliva is irritating and allergenic what causes the itch signals to the possible allergic responses ( dermatitis allergic to flea, known as DAAP ) in some animals and people.
They have four main stages of their life cycle: egg, larva, pupa and adult. The cycle of the total flea life can range from a few weeks to several months, depending on environmental conditions. If ambinete is favorable cycle may be shorter. If the environment is not favorable either by the temperature and humidity conditions or the presence of insecticides egg can stay alive for months waiting for these unfavorable conditions disappear and then he can finish its cycle.
Adult fleas prefer to live in the animal and its diet consists of the host animal blood . The well – fed female flea can lay an average of 50 eggs per day amounting to around 1500 eggs during her fertile phase which lasts several months. These eggs must stay in the room until they hatch. We still have the larval stage and pupa (flea puppy), then returning to the definitive host.
The life cycle is variable, as mentioned above, and may be as short as two weeks to two years or longer. That is why it is so important to remain vigilant, even when the problem of fleas seem to be under control.
For all these reasons the flea control requires knowledge of the flea cycle and combination of drugs and environmental management.
Here are the main care in the control of fleas:
– Keep the animal fleeced especially in the summer – facilitates the identification and possible parasite view.
– Keep clean and airy environment. We should avoid environments with rugs, carpets or wood floors with cracks (where the eggs are more than favorable environments)
– Avoid riding in places known for a long used dogs and avoid contact with dogs of unknown origin.
– To maintain a higher frequency of bathing in the summer.
– Use preventive regularly. Usually every 3 to 4 weeks.
– Use preventive in all animals in the house. Even those who do not leave the street.
– In case of flea infestations in animals should dedetizar the environment.
What types of products available in the market?
All products available on the market should only be used on prescription and guidance of the veterinarian, based on age, weight, coat, breed and animal health.
– offered pills by mouth to the dog and cat flea interfere with CILCO (prevents hatching). Will not exterminate the adult fleas, but long-term stops cycle reducing the flea population since the animal does not reinfeste on the street. It is usually used together with other residual effect adulticide product has 3 to 4 weeks. Exameplo: Program ®
– Pill offered orally to the dog and cat kills the adults who are in the animal in a matter of hours. It does not kill the eggs and so should also be used with other produtos.Tem residual effect of 24 hours. Example: Capstar ®
– pipettes placed on the animal ‘s neck by contacting the skin. The product is absorbed by the skin and is distributed via blood throughout the body of the animal. For every flea that is if that animal blood food dies. Residual effect has 3 to 4 weeks. Example: Revolution ®, Practic®
– pipettes placed in the neck that are not absolvirdos the blood, but are spread by skin fat and kill adult fleas. Residual effect has 3 to 4 weeks. Example: Frontline ® , PROMERIS ® ,
– Spray antipulga. Sprayed on the hair of the animal, penetrating the skin fat killing adult fleas. Residual effect has 3 to 4 weeks. Example: Frontline Spray ®3
– collars, powders, anti-flea shampoos and some pipettes are considered insecticides, have reduced efficacy dependedo coat and amount used, eliminating the adult parasites. It has a higher risk of poisoning for dogs and cats. ®
The Veterinary Pet Care Hospital through the emergency room or dermatological care can offer your pet effective control of fleas and diseases resulting from their parasitism. If you are interested can schedule an appointment by phone 11 3743 2142.