A cat sneezes and watery eyes – what to treat?
The content of the article
- Reasons for sneezing
- What should I do?
- How do I know why the cat runny nose?
- How to treat?
Sneezing you can hear not only from men but also from pets. Often sneezes our mustached-striped pets when climb into a dusty corner and dust fallsthem in the nose, but if it happens all the time, the cat runny nose and eyes, coughing, then the problem is clearly not easy and requires the intervention of experts.
What to do if a cat sneezes? What was the reason? These are the questions we try to answer in this material.
Reasons for sneezing
There are a large number of pathologies in which the cat sneezes frequently:
- An allergic reaction to dust, household chemicals, tobacco smoke, pet food, etc. Allergens, getting on the nasal mucosa, irritate it, causing sneezing, with watery eyes may still be.
- Infestation is also the reason why a cat sneezes. This process can often be engineered Toxoplasma or Dirofilaria, and accompanied by fever and cough.
- The presence of a foreign body in the nasal passages, for example, can get stuck in the nose piece of food, filling the tray, etc. In this case, the cat paws and muzzle t breathing heavily through his nose, as if the subject of injured mucosa, she sneezes blood.
- Cat sneezes and coughs when infecting a bacterial or viral infection. This is also additional symptoms – fever, watery eyes.
- Tumors in the nasal cavity – polyps do not allow the cat to breathe freely, so she sneezes and breathes with his mouth open.
- Malignant tumors – is the most dangerous disease, with sneezing. In this case, when sneezing can be allocated a nosebleed, deteriorating general condition of the cat.
- If a cat sneezes, then maybe he asthma, but then the animal will occur and asthma attacks, for which he needs quick help.
- After hypothermia cat catch a cold – it constantly sneezes, nose snot flowing, watery eyes, coughing may occur.
- Gum disease and tooth decay can also cause a cat to sneeze, but it also becomes difficult to chew, so he refuses to eat and lose weight.
Now we see that self-identify why a cat sneezes, it is practically impossible, since it has many causes.
What do we have to do?
The best thing you can do for your pet – it is to take him to the veterinarian, who will find out why the disease appeared. However, some owners are trying to treat the cat at home. Such assistance is like a game of roulette, because the owner does not know exactly what was the cause of the disease.
Of particular concern is the host to cause sneezing combination with the following symptoms:
- discharge of blood from the nose;
- depressed state of the cat;
- reduction of body weight;
- ulcers and rashes on the skin of the cat;
- excessive tearing;
- pus from the nasal passages and the eyes;
- and whistling rales during breathing;
- behavioral change;
This combination indicates that your pet is not just allergic to dust, and serious illness. Some of feline diseases can be transmitted and the people.
So, if the cat sneezes and her watery eyes, what to do in this case? Do not expect that it will pass by itself, and to apply to the veterinary clinic, where your pet will conduct a full examination.
How do I know why the cat runny nose?
In the veterinary clinic doctor will call you to the causes of disease and prescribe treatment after a series of events:
- Examination of a sick animal, which includes: examination of the mouth and throat, temperature measurement, palpation of lymph nodes and the belly of a cat.
- The study of history with a host of words of the disease when the cat became ill, began as a disease, how many days sick how behaves, etc.
- Carrying out general and biochemical analyzes of blood and urine.
- doctor may do a swab from the nose or throat cat if necessary.
- If the vet suspects the presence of nasal polyps or cancer, you will need endoscopy of the nasal passages, or x-ray of the head for accurate diagnosis.
After all the results, the vet will give an accurate answer to the question will be received: “Why is the cat sneezes and watery eyes from him?”.
How to treat?
Once diagnosed, the doctor will give you recommendations for the treatment of furry pets:
- If the reason was allergic, then appoint receiving antihistamines and advise the owner often do wet cleaning of the house and hide away household chemicals, eliminate smoking in the house, try to change the feed or filler in the paper tray, that is, eliminate cat contact with potential allergens.
- Infectious or viral diseases are treated using antibacterial or antiviral drugs, and in order to speed recovery, it is recommended vitamins and immunomodulators. Moreover, the drug may be either in tablet form or in the form of injections.
- Asthma – it is a serious illness, so if your cat make such a diagnosis, it would likely need to be lifelong reception of special preparations. Subject to all veterinary prescriptions at a cat will have a chance to live a long life.
- Nasal polyps cats can not be cured by the therapeutic, so Kitty will have to move a small operation. In malignant tumors, may also need surgery, but the prognosis for recovery is not very good.
- After the treatment of gum disease and tooth decay your cat will forget about sneezing caused by this problem.
- If the cause of the pathology became parasites, then the cat will need to carry out treatment for worms. A veterinarian will recommend a certain drug, it helps to get rid of the helminths that cause sneezing.
As you can see, decide on treatment alone is very difficult, is not yet known to cause disease.
What to do at home to prevent the cat sneezing? Firstly, more often to get rid of dust and to avoid contact with cat sharp-smelling substances, and also try not to supercool your pet on a regular basis to do it all preventive vaccinations and carry out treatment against parasites.
From this article you will learn what to do if a cat sneezes and his snot, and we hope that it will help you in a difficult situation. In the meantime, we just want your pet to be healthy.